This project is implemented in the low-income communities of Maputo, capital of Mozambique (about 1.1 million inhabitants) and Beira, second largest city and capital of the province of Sofala (about 600 000 inhabitants).
Mozambique, with a population of 23 milion, stands at the 172 position out of 182 countries in the Human Development Index (HDI)
Context et objectives :
The project is aiming at improving the access of vulnerable children to early childhood development centers in order to facilitate their integration and success in primary school and a good start in life!
It will also allow to reinforce local capacities (local associations and public services) in the management of education projects and at the pedagogical level.
(1) Technical support and capacity building of 10 Community Based Organizations
(2) Preschool Education for 1000 vulnerable children from 3 to 5 years old
(3) Construction et equipement of 4 preschool centers
(4) Setting-up of a dynamic network in the area of early childhood development
- 1000 vulnerable children from 3 to 5 years old
- 10 Community Based Organizations
- AMDEC, a Mozambican NGO and main partner in this project
- The Women and Social Action District Department
- Universities of Pedagogy in Maputo and Beira
- Elementary schools in the areas of intervention
- Families of the beneficiary children
Financial Partners :
European Union, French Development Agency and Foundations and private donations.
- Outreach working approach with families and direct involvement of local actors ;
- Child-to-Child Approach ;
- Experience sharing and networking ;
- Systematization of experiences of the project to replicate elsewhere.
(1) Continuing training of education staff within NGO and community based organizations ;
(2) Capacity building of community based organizations in the development and management of education projects ;
(3) Maintaining the socio educational vocation of the build or renovated structures at the end of the project ;
(4) Actions for the benefit of the most vulnerable ;
(5) Transfer of the methodologies used in the project to the public authorities and continuity of action at the end of the projet.